When looking for a new insurer, you may be overwhelmed by the options. But I’m going to say that Amica is one company that should be on your list of options to check out.
Here’s a deep dive into Amica Insurance, ranked # 1 among homeowner insurers by Consumer Reports.
But they do more than homeowner insurance – a lot more. In this review, I’m going to cover everything you need to know so that you can decide if Amica is right for you.
What is Amica Insurance?
Founded in 1907, Amica Insurance is a direct personal insurance writer with auto, homeowner, personal and marine insurance. They are known in the insurance industry for their financial strength and exceptional customer service. They are currently the oldest mutual insurer of motor vehicles in the United States.
Amica has three subsidiaries:
- Amica life insurance company.
- Amica property and casualty insurance company.
- Amica General Agency, LLC.
Amica currently has 44 stationary offices across the country.
How does Amica Insurance work?
Amica offers you insurance directly. Their most popular products are auto insurance, life insurance, and homeowner insurance, but they also offer:
- Pension insurance.
- Condominium Insurance.
- Boat insurance.
- Motorcycle insurance.
- Roof insurance.
- Small business insurance.
- Wedding and event insurance.
This is how it works:
Hell, I got an offer from Amica to see how they compare to my auto insurance with Geico. First I go to Amica’s website and click “Get Quote”:
After choosing car and my status, I am presented with this short questionnaire:
It looks like they’re trying to see if I’ve had a lot of accidents or bad driving record.
Then I have to give my details:
The next screen surprised me when they broke in both of the cars I currently own and have insured:
A bit scary but I’ll roll with it …
I then have to give information about each car I want to insure and I have to fill in my own information again.
One thing I found especially weird was the question of what age did I get my license for the first time.
On the next page, they asked if I had recent accidents or if I wanted to add another driver.
Then it shows a summary of my coverage I already have about Geico – apparently that’s where they get their information:
They show me a short list of the discounts they offer, then I’m on my way to my offer:
Even though I have blurred my personal information, I can tell you that my offer was almost double what I pay for at Geico. Keep in mind that this may not be typical and a lot will depend on your car, your location, and much more.
Overall, getting a quote was very easy, but they asked some questions that I didn’t get when I signed up with my other insurer.
Still it took me all five minutes. So there is no reason not to get a free quote from one of the top rated insurers in the country.
Amica Insurance prices
Amica prices depend not only on the type of insurance product you are looking at, but also on the factors that go into that insurance product.
To get a clear idea of the pricing for what you are looking for, you can be quick Get a quote from Amica. However, as I’ve seen, Amica’s pricing is very competitive and even cheaper than other insurance companies, especially when you are bundling.
Amica insurance features
The three most popular products at Amica are homeowner, auto and life insurance.
Homeowner Insurance Features
Standard household insurance
- Housing coverage. This special insurance coverage provides protection if your home is damaged by a covered loss such as fire, lightning, wind or hail. Structures that are connected to residential buildings like garages are also included in the insurance cover.
- Personal property coverage. This is coverage for property temporarily attached to your home or building, such as household furniture, clothing, electronic equipment, and various other items.
- Loss of use coverage. The moment your home suffers a recovered loss and is no longer fit for living, your daily cost of living can suddenly and temporarily increase. Temporary living (e.g. hotel rooms), warehouse leasing and even more than the typical food costs are covered by this insurance coverage.
- Personal liability insurance. IIf a person is injured or a personal item on your property has been destroyed, you may be responsible for medical expenses as well as various other costs. This component of your policy covers claims related to home damage and personal injury.
- Covering other structures. Similar to your house, free-standing buildings on your property such as sheds, garages and fences are protected in the event of covered damage.
Extended home insurance coverage
- Housing replacement cover. W.If the cost of rebuilding or repairing your home exceeds the coverage limit of your policy, this coverage will increase your limit by 30%.
- Valuables cover. In the event that you own higher value items such as valuable jewelry, art, or furs, this specific insurance coverage may offer broader coverage for destruction beyond fire and theft. This is also known as planned personal property policy coverage.
- Identity fraud costs covered. You will have individual instructions on how to restore your identity and you will be compensated for the unauthorized use of your credit cards up to the insurance limit.
- Replacement coverage for personal property. With this worldwide coverage you get a full repair or a full replacement of your personal property up to the limit of the coverage you have chosen.
- Catastrophic coverages. This is coverage (less a deductible) in the unlikely event that your home is destroyed or lost due to earthquakes or floods.
- Home business coverage. Whether you’re running a business right from home or just doing a job for your business, make sure you have proper insurance against the unforeseen.
Auto insurance features
- Liability for property damage. Provides cover for home destruction that you are responsible for due to a car accident.
- Liability for injuries. Provides insurance for personal injury for which you are liable after a car accident.
- Medical payments. Co.vers your medical expenses as a result of a car accident.
- Protection against personal injury. Covers lost wages, loss of capacity for simple tasks, and funeral expenses due to a car accident.
- Uninsured / underinsured property damage for drivers. Provides insurance for the destruction of your property if the driver who caused the accident does not have adequate insurance to cover damage.
- Uninsured / underinsured physical injury to motorists. Provides protection for personal injury you suffer if the driver who caused the accident is not sufficiently insured to pay for the damage.
- Collision. Protects your car or truck when it has been damaged by a car accident with another car or property.
- Full. Also known as “Other Than Collision” (OTC), it covers fire, burglary, hail damage, contact with an animal, broken glass, and more.
- Roadside assistance. Along with towing and working coverage, they will help you tow your vehicle, start your battery, change a flat tire, and much more.
- Glass cover. The glass cover is part of a comprehensive cover. However, you can also take out additional glass insurance so that you no longer have a deductible in the event of an insurance claim.
- Rent reimbursement. In the event of an accident, you may be insured against the cost of a rental car.
Life insurance features
Level term life insurance
- Guaranteed level premium. You can choose a 10-, 15-, 20-, 25- or even 30-year premium insurance along with premiums that are guaranteed to remain unchanged during the selected period.
- Guaranteed level protection. As long as the premiums are paid in accordance with the terms of the insurance plan, your coverage level is guaranteed until you are 95 years old. This means that your insurance coverage will not decrease as you get older.
- Terminal Illness Rider. In this way, you will receive part of the benefits if you become terminally ill.
- Conversion option. Y.You can convert this type of insurance policy into any permanent policy offered during the conversion period, regardless of your general health.
- Optimized process. Assuming you get approved for Amica’s more desirable tariff classes, you may not need to go through medical exams.
- Pricing. Amica offers discount rates for larger policies and there are no insurance fees. Plus, they can reward you for your excellent health and healthy lifestyle with their Premier Select rates.
The entire life insurance also includes the guaranteed level premium, the guaranteed level protection and discounts that the level term life insurance offers, in addition to:
- Cash values. This specific coverage continually increases the cash value available to you at all times, provided the insurance policy is given in good time before it becomes due as life insurance. You can borrow the money for any kind of personal need including premium payment.
- Early provision of services. If you are ever diagnosed with an incurable disease and have a life expectancy of a year or less, you can request an advance payment.
My experience with Amica Insurance
After I received my first offer (as shown above), Amica called me a couple of times and mailed me some information. Those of you who have experienced this after receiving an offer know that it can Really annoying. But this was not the case.
Your calls were very nice. The voicemails were pleasant and not threatening. The mailers weren’t in my face and were more about “Hey, if you want to come to us, we’d love you” rather than forcing a sale down my throat.
It was a really great experience.
And shortly after I wrote the article, I was in a car accident. Geico, my current provider, handled this wonderfully – I have no complaints. But the hell I wanted to see what Amica would do with my new “record,” so I went through the quotation process again.
Same steps as above and I really thought it was a clean process. And the quote hasn’t changed at all since the first time I did it (before the accident). Especially when you consider that I now have a newer car.
Even so, Amica was far more expensive than Geico. Could this be an anomaly? For sure. Insurance rates will be different for everyone.
But I can only assume that they’ll charge me a premium because their service is so damn good. Take a look at the J.D. performance specifications. Check out my experience. I think if you’re willing to pay a little extra for great service and insurance, Amica is the way to go.
For the moment I’m staying with Geico because they took care of me after my accident. But Amica is next on my list if Geico ever gets mad.
Who is Amica Insurance for?
Amica Insurance is definitely suitable for anyone buying insurance. It makes sense to get at least an offer from them to see if and how much money you can save. But the wider audience that Amica is for are those who seek great customer service – a seemingly lost art in business these days.
Amica is considered a top company in customer service as well as a workplace. Also note that Consumer Reports currently rates it as the # 1 homeowner insurer.
Yes, you can probably save money by choosing an affordable online insurance agency. However, if you want a high level of personalization and a great customer experience, you will love Amica.
Who is Amica Insurance for?
I have to be honest – it’s hard Not recommend Amica to someone – or at least get them an offer. That said, there are people who are likely to want to look elsewhere – especially those who want cheap insurance for one reason or another.
Maybe you don’t drive a lot. In this case, you might come up with super cheap insurance from a company such as The general. Or pay for miles with something like this Metromile.
So if you’re someone who doesn’t particularly need these products, or if you’re not getting the most out of them, you can probably look into other, cheaper options.