BREAKING NEWS: The Sydney to Hobart yacht race is canceled for the first time in 76 years
- The Sydney to Hobart yacht race has been canceled for the first time in the history of the event
- The organizers announced that the race would not take place with “great sadness”.
- It comes as Sydney tries to control the COVID-19 outbreak on northern beaches
The Sydney to Hobart yacht race was canceled for the first time in 76 years due to a coronavirus outbreak on the northern beaches.
The organizers announced on Saturday evening that the 76th Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2020 would not take place with “great sadness”.
They said the coronavirus pandemic has disrupted sporting events around the world year-round, and the “Big Race” is another victim of the health crisis.
CYCA Commodore, Noel Cornish AM, said: “We are bitterly disappointed to be canceling the race this year, especially given the plans and preparations we have made for a COVID Safe race.”
The Sydney to Hobart yacht race has been canceled for the first time in the history of the event
‘We were so well prepared to race and we’re only six days away from the start. This is the first time in 76 years that the race has stopped running. ‘
The safety of attendees and the health and wellbeing of residents of NSW and Tasmania were important considerations in canceling the event.
The race was supposed to start on Boxing Day.
Travelers from all parts of Sydney must quarantine themselves from midnight Saturday upon entering Tasmania.
The tightening of state border restrictions on Sydneysiders follows 23 new coronavirus infections that were registered in the port city on Saturday.
There are now 41 active coronavirus cases in the NSW community.
The organizers announced on Saturday evening that the 76th Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race 2020 would not take place with “great sadness”
Prime Minister Peter Gutwein told reporters at a press conference late Saturday afternoon, after meeting with health officials all day, that he had been advised to raise the Sydney area to medium risk levels.
This means that travelers from the northern beaches as well as from all other parts of the metropolis of Sydney will have to spend two weeks in quarantine upon arrival.
He said the higher risk rating in Sydney would inevitably impact the Sydney to Hobart race.
“These conditions would make it very difficult for the race to continue,” said Gutwein.
The race organizers had said all week that they wanted to hold the famous yacht race as planned.
Pictured: Comanche took the lead over Info Track as the field cruised down the coast after the start of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race in Sydney on December 26, 2019